The Way toward the East
In 1938, Crespel & Deiters bought the empty factory of the life reformer, Dr Volkmar Klopfer, in Dresden. The vegetarian by conviction manufactured nutrient-rich bread, meat- substituting noodles and nutritious protein products here for many years. He probably was too far ahead of his time. Because, as visionary as his products were, he had big problems to succeed at keeping his company accounts balanced. So as to avoid bankruptcy, the company was liquidated by the nature-loving and socially-committed Klopfer in 1936. Two years later, Crespel & Deiters acquires the premises.
Already for quite some time, the Ibbenbüren wheat starch specialist has been playing with the idea of expanding its production in the east of Germany to improve supply to the middle- and east-German areas. For this purpose, Crespel & Deiters already leases a wheat starch factory in Braunschweig, Lower Saxony, in 1929. The plan is to develop the plant as a production site for a successful market launch of Weizenin, which is entered as a trademark in the same year.
However, owing to the limited possibilities for technical expansion in Braunschweig, and the necessity of having to make larger investments, the company takes the decision to close the plant in Braunschweig and to start looking around for an alternative. With the Dresden plant, Crespel & Deiters finds a good foundation for additional expansion.